Not a light cake by far, but delicious and satisfying. The spices are very subtle, so feel free to change the proportions to your personal taste.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 sticks of butter, room temperature
1/2 tea spoon fresh grated ginger
1/2 tea spoon fresh grated sapote
1/2 tea spoon 4 spices
1 table spoon vanilla extract
a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F
2. Sift the flour
3. Cut the butter in chunks and put in the bowl of a stand mixer with the sugar.
4. Mix for a few minutes until well creamed together.
5. Add the flour and mix until just combined.
6. Add the spices and mix until just incorporated.
7. Add the vanilla and the first of the eggs. Mix well and add the rest of the eggs one at the time, making sure they are fully incorporated before adding the next one.
8. The result should be a thick, elastic dough.
9. Transfer the batter into a greased and flour dusted pan.
10. Bake for 60-90 minutes. Start checking at the 60 minute mark and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.