Not exactly the delicious food that I tasted in a group picnic, but a good enough interpretation that I’ll keep it around… I probably need more practice.
1 can of chickpeas
1 3/4 cup of peeled, diced tomatoes
2 handful of baby spinach
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, finely diced
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 tea spoon cumin
1/2 tea spoon curry
1/2 tea spoon ground coriander
1 tea spoon garam masala
1 table spoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet, cook the onions on medium heat until translucent then add the chopped garlic until fragrant.
2. Grind together the spices. You can toast the spices before hand, for more flavor.
3. Add the spices to the skillet, heating until fragrant.
4. Add the chickpeas, with the water from the can. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and lemon juice and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes.
6. Add the spinach. Mix in so that the spinach wilt. Simmer uncovered until the chick peas are done.
7. Serve warm with the side of your choice (I went with rice)