This cake makes the whole house smell of cinnamon. It’s dense and moist though it could use a bit more cinnamon. Taste as you go and see what you like!
3 cups flour
1 tea spoon baking powder
1/4 tea spoon salt
2 sticks of butter + some for the pan
1 2/3 cups sugar + 2 table spoons
1 1/2 tea spoon cinnamon
1/2 tea spoon Chinese 5 spices
1 tea spoon vanilla extract
6 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 table spoon lemon juice
4 large Cortland apples
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 10″ spring form cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Grind the spices. Set aside 1/2 tea spoon of cinnamon. Combine the Chinese five spice with the remaining tea spoon of cinnamon.
4. In the bowl of a mixer combine the sugar (1 1/3 cup), butter, mixed spices and vanilla extract.
5. Beat until lighter and slightly fluffy. Add the eggs one at the time, mixing well between each.
6. While those are working, core and slice two of the apples. You can peel them or not, according to your personal preference.
7. Once all the eggs have been added, mix in 1/3 of the flour.
8. Then add 1/2 of the sour cream.
9. Repeat until all the flour and sour cream has been added. Add the lemon juice.
10. You should end up with a smooth, elastic batter.
11. Spoon 1/2 of the batter into the spring form pan. Spread the apples on top of the batter.
12. Combine the remaining cinnamon with that + 2 table spoons of sugar.
13. Spoon the remaining batter in the pan, core and slice the remaining apples and display on top. Dust the apple slices with the cinnamon sugar mix.
Put in the oven for 60 minutes.
14. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
15. Run an offset spatula carefully around the cake then release the springform.
16. Slice and enjoy!