I have no idea what to call this other then a tasty, rich, satisfying dinner. It’s part turnover, part stromboli, part giant pizza burrito? Leave name suggestions in the comments!
The cheese I use is a blend of mozzarella, gruyère and emmental.You can use whatever cheese or cheese mix you like. Just throw in some mozzarella for the stretchy texture.
1 ball of pizza dough
1 recipe of pizza sauce
2 large italian sausage
2 red bell peppers
grated cheese in sufficient quantity
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
Pour a bit of olive oil in a skillet. Slice the onion and cook until translucent.
2. Thinly slice the bell peppers and add to the onions.
3. Cook until nice and soft then set aside.
4. Color the outside of the sausage in a different skillet.
5. Cut into chunks and return to the skillet to cook fully then set aside.
6. Cut the dough into 4 portions.
6. Roll each portion about the size of a large tortilla. Add some of the sauce, a quarter of the peppers and onions, a quarter of the sausage and a large handful of cheese.
7. Fold as you wish (I have no talent). Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush the folded dough with the beaten egg.
8. Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the dough is cooked and crisp. Allow to cool a bit before eating (to avoid burns from the molten cheese).