I made decadent cupcakes yesterday. I mean it… these are good but so darn rich. So I made a grain based salad for dinner tonight, to make myself feel less guilty.
8 oz farro
4 cups chicken stock
1 butternut squash
1 pack of turkey breast strips
1 bunch green onions
juice of one lemon
small handul italian parsley
2/3 cup apple juice sweetened dried cranberries
1/4 tea spoon smoked paprika
salt and pepper
1 tea spoon honey
8 table spoon olive oil
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
Peel the butternut squash. Cut in half and remove the seeds. Then cut into cubes.
2. Toss with 1 to 1 1/2 table spoon of olive oil and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. Put on a baking tray in a single layer.
3. Put in the oven until tender but still holding it’s shape, about 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool.
4. Mean while, combine the farro and chicken stock.
5. Bring to a boil then lower the heat. Cook, uncovered until all the liquid is absorbed, stirring once in a while. It took me about 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
6. Cut the turkey into cubes. Heat 1/2 table spoon to 1 table spoon oil in a skillet. Cook the turkey with the smoked paprika and a bit of pepper.
7. Roughly chop a small handful of Italian parsley and add to the cooled farro.
8. Add the cranberries.
9. Finely chop the green onions and add to the salad.
10. Add the cooked turkey.
11. And as much of the squash as you care for. I added about half of the baking sheet.
12. In a different bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and honey. Add the remaining 6 table spoon of olive oil in a drizzle while whisking.
13. Add the dressing to the salad and mix well to combine.