A nice side dish that goes with pretty much anything. And any vegetable is good, so use what you have on hand.
1 head of broccoli
1 head of cauliflower
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tea spoon dry mustard
nutmeg, salt, pepper, cayenne : to taste
a few handful of grated cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
Cut the vegetables into bite size and steam until mostly done.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium pot, melt the butter.
3. Add the flour and cook until lightly colored.
4. Slowly add the milk, stirring at the same time to avoid lumps. Season with the dry mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
5. Transfer the steamed vegetables to a small casserole dish.
6. Pour the bechamel over the vegetables. Add the cheese on top.
7. Bake for a few minutes, until the vegetables are done. Turn the oven on broil to make the cheese golden. Serve warm.