Dark, decadent, very chocolaty. By using the evaporated milk rather then the more usual sweetened condensed milk these have a softer texture, midway between a mousse and a ganache. It also allows the chocolate to shine, as it’s not fighting the sugar. If you’d rather have the thick and chewy texture, use sweetened condensed milk.
350g good dark chocolate
1 tin evaporated milk (unsweetened condensed milk)
150g (shelled) pistachios
30g unsalted butter
a good pinch of fleur de sel
1. Butter an 8×8 inch dish and line with parchment paper leaving two sides sticking out.
2. Shell the pistachios and remove most of the papery skins.
3. Put the pistachios into a ziploc bag. Smash with a rolling pin, the bottom of a pan or a meat tenderizer to break into shards.Set aside.
4. In a heat proof bowl, weight your chocolate.
5. Add the evaporated milk.
6. Set the bowl over a pot of boiling water (double boiler). Stir to get the chocolate to start melting then add the butter.
7. When everything is melted and smooth add the fleur de sel.
8. Stir in the splintered pistachios.
9. Pour the whole thing into the prepared pan. Smooth the top as best you can. Allow to cool some, then stick in the fridge (fold the parchment paper flaps to cover)
10. Once cold, use the parchment paper flaps to remove from the pan unto a cutting board and discard the parchment paper.
Cut into small cubes (aiming for a 7×7 grid pattern). They will keep in the freezer beautifully until ready to be eaten.