Delicious and light enough to be a summer meal. Modified from this as my roommate isn’t a fan of allspice. Also, bavette might be a favored cut.
This is a two step recipe. The marinade, then the rest of the salad.
Marinade Ingredients :
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tea spoon berberé
1/2 tea spoon peppercorn
1 kg of bavette or so
2/3 cup barley
4 cups red grapes
1. Combine the berberé and peppercorns.
2. Roughly grind and break down.
3. Combine the oil, vinegar and ground spices.
4. Shake well.
5. Put the meat in a freezer ziploc bag.
6. Add the marinate and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
7. When the meat is marinated bring 4 or 5 cups of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Add the barley.
8. Cook until the barley is softer but still a bit toothsome, about 30 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
9. Remove the meat from the bag and discard the marinade. Salt on both sides and sear. Depending on how thick the meat is you might need to finish cooking it in a 375 degree oven. You want to meat rare or medium rare.
10. Slice the grapes in half and mix in with the barley.
11. Cut the meat into bite sizes and add to the grapes and barley.
12. Chop a good handful of parsley and add to the rest.
13. Serve while the meat is warm, but any left overs will be delicious cold.