Continuing my condiment making from the Fruit Keptchup. This relish is perfect for burgers and hot-dogs.
Total Yield : 3.5 pints (7 half pint jars)
2 lbs small pickling cucumbers
6 green bell peppers
1/2 cup salt
5-6 cups sugar
2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon celery seeds
4 cups white vinegar
* optional: green food coloring
1. In a large bowl combine the vegetables.
I ran the onions and bell peppers in the food processor because I’m lazy but diced the cucumber.
2. Add the salt.
3. Cover with cold water. Mix well.
Set aside to brine/macerate for 12 hours.
4. When everything had time to make friends in the salt bath. drain everything. Press down on the vegetables to extract as much water as you can.
5. Add 5-6 cups sugar (depending on how tangy you like it).
6. Add the spices.
7. Add the white vinegar.
8. Stir to combine. Turn the heat on to a medium-low and allow to reduce for 1-2 hours.
9. Once reduced it will look like this.
10. Totally optional, but you can add a few drops of green food coloring at this point to bring back the green of the vegetables vs the yellow of the turmeric.
11.Scald 7 half pint jars. Distribute the relish into the jar.
12. Process for 10 minutes then allow to cool fully.