Warm, filling and re-heats well. Great for the cooling days of fall.
2 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 toulouse style sausages
2 carrots, diced
2 onions, minced
1-2 garlic clove, minced
pinch of ground cumin
1/2 cup duPuy Lentils
2-3 large tomatoes, in large dice (about 4 cups)
3 cups vegetable broth
1 handful green or yellow beans
salt and pepper
1. Cut the sausages into segments about 1 inch each. I leave the casing on because I don’t mind it. If it bothers you, you can remove it first.
2. In a large soup pot warm the oil. Add the sausages and cook for a few minutes until colored but not cooked all the way through. Remove from the pot.
3. Turn down the heat to a medium-low. Add the onions and carrots and sweat for 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and cumin. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
5. Rinse the lentils and pick through to remove rocks and debris. Add to the pot. Stir well to coat in the oils.
6. Add the tomatoes and broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
7. Towards the end of the simmering time prep the beans… I used green, yellow and purple because I had them. You can use just one color, doesn’t matter.
Cut them in chunks 1-2 inches long.
8. Return the sausage to the pot and add the beans. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste to adjust seasoning.
9. Serve with a bit of slivered almonds on top.