This makes a fantastic dessert to share in potlucks and gatherings.
For the crust
1 cup unsalted butter, to room temperature (2 sticks)
2/3 cup sugar
2 2/3 cup flour
1/4 tea spoon salt
For the filling
1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 table spoon milk (or cream)
2 cups halved pecans
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Use a paper towel to spread on any missed spots and remove the excess.
2. In a mixer or food processor, cream together the sugar and butter.
3. Add the flour and salt. Mix on low speed.
4. You want to have pea-sized chunks of butter.
5. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and press down into an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. While the crust is baking, combine the butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and milk into a sauce pot. Allow to simmer for 1 minute.
7. Stir in the pecans.
8. Remove the crust from the oven. it should barely be starting to get golden.
9. Pour the hot filling unto the hot crust and spread the pecan as evenly as possible. Return to the oven for 12-18 minutes. It’s best not to overcook, the filling will thicken and set as it cools.
10. Allow to cool fully.
11. remove from the dish using the aluminum foil sling. Discard the foil.
12. Cut into small squares and eat.