Pork and eggplant just play so well together. This variation is quick, cheap and satisfying all in one.
1lb ground pork
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic, diced
4 graffiti eggplant (or 3 japanese eggplant)
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons bean paste (I used one with ginger)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon ground Korean pepper
3 table spoon grape seed oil (or peanut oil)
1. In a bowl, combine the pork, soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and the ground black pepper.
Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes to marinate the meat.
2. Slice the eggplants into strips.
3. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoon of oil over medium-high/high heat.
Add 1 diced clove of garlic and stir into the oil until fragrant (should not be long).
4. Throw in the sliced eggplants and toss to coat with oil, Keep the heat fairly high, you want to eggplants to sear a bit.
5. When they start to soften add the chicken stock. Continue cooking the eggplant until they are all soft and slightly browned. Then remove from the skillet and set aside.
6. In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the other clove of garlic and stir until fragrant. Add the pork.
7. While that’s cooking, combine the rest of the ingredients (bean paste, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, Korean pepper).
8. You want the meat cooked and no longer pink, but not dry.
9. Add the eggplant back to the skillet.
10. Add the sauce and stir to coat evenly. Allow to cook with the sauce for a minute or two.
11. Serve with rice.