I wanted something like the Ginger Lemonade but without going out into the cold to buy the ginger syrup. So I made it myself. I also added the juice of blood oranges, since they are in season.
Ingredients for the syrup:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
zest of 1 lemon
A large root of ginger
2 yunnan peppers
Ingredients for the lemonade:
1 1/2 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of blood orange juice
4 cups of water
1. In a sauce pot, combine the ingredients for the syrup.
2. Bring to a boil. Then remove from the heat and allow to steep as it cools.
3. Strain out and set aside.
4. Squeeze the lemon juice (takes about a 2lb bag of lemons). Strain out the pits and the pulp.
5. Repeat with the blood oranges.
6. Combine in a pitcher. Add the water and 1 cup of the spiced simple syrup. Mix well. Serve over ice.