Simple, low effort and tasty. The left overs make good lunch, this is great of week-night cooking.
2 cans of chickpeas
1 pack of boneless, skinless chicken thigh
1 small jar roasted peppers, in oil not brine
3 capers, quartered
Baby spinach (a good handful per plate)
salt & pepper
3 cloves of garlic
Fresh basil, to taste
1. Combine together the juice of 3 lemons, a good amount of olive oil (1/4 to 1/3 of a cup), the garlic, pressed of finely minced, a bit of salt and plenty of black pepper.
2. Put the chicken in a large freezer bag and pour in the marinade. Massage a bit to make sure everything is coated, then allow to marinate for an hour or so.
3. The marinade will make the chicken look paler. This is normal. Get the chicken cooking, and discard the marinade.
4. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
5. Remove the roasted peppers from the jar and drain the excess oil. Cut into strips and add to the chickpeas.
6. Add the capers. They add a salty/briny/crunchy element. Skip them if you don’t like them or don’t have any on hand. Olives would probably work instead.
7. In a small jar, combine the juice of the remaining lemon, some olive oil and about a tea spoon of Dijon mustard. Add black pepper. Shake until emulsified.
8. Add the chicken to the chickpeas. Drizzle with the dressing and mix everything together.
9. Serve over a good handful of spinach. Add cut or thorn basil on top.