Funnily enough, a butter free version of butter chicken. Delicious, tender chicken and a savory sauce. It uses both a “Butter chicken masala” pre-made mix and some whole spices.
This is a two step recipe. First the marinade, then putting everything together.
Marinade ingredients :
3 chicken breast
1/2 cup plain greek yoghurt
2 tea spoon butter chicken masala
juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 tea spoon salt
Butter Chicken ingredients :
6 black pepper corns
6 green cardamom pods
1 thumb length cinnamon stick
2 star anise
2 tablespoon butter chicken masala
1 small can of diced tomatoes
3/4 cup cream
1/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup water
2 table spoon oil
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the marinade ingredients.
2. Add the diced chicken.
3. Stir to coat with the marinade. Cover and set aside (several hours, up to overnight).
4. Peel and quarter the onions. Put in a pot with water and boil for 10 minutes until soft.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
Pour the chicken into an oven safe dish and cook for 10-15 minutes. You want it mostly cooked.
6. Drain the water from the onion and transfer them to a blender.
7. And puree them.
8. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions to the skillet.
9. In the mean time grind the cardamom, black pepper corn and star anise.
10. Cook until the onions have given up most of their water and start to form a paste. You can go a bit further then I did, almost caramelizing them. Add the ground spices and the butter chicken masala.
11. Cook for 2 minutes to fry the spices a bit and make them fragrant.
12. Add the tomatoes.
13. Add the cream.
14. Take the chicken out of the oven.
15. And using a slotted spoon transfer the chicken to the sauce. You want to leave behind any water or “broken” marinade. Stir in and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
16. Add the ground almond. Stir it in, it will thicken the sauce. Add the water to loosen it up.
17. Serve with warm naan bread.