Easier than it looks and very tasty. One goose breast will feed two persons.
1 goose breast
1 french shallot, minced
2/3 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup veal stock
salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
Score the fat of the goose breast in a cross-hatch pattern, bring careful not to cut the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Put fat side down in a cold skillet and turn on to medium-heat. Allow the fat to render for 2 minutes, removing excess if needed.
3. Turn over and color the other side of the meat for 2 minutes.
4. Transfer to an oven safe plate and put in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Drain most of the fat from the plate. Add the minced shallots and cook until translucent.
6. Add the cranberries.
7. Add the veal stock (don’t be like me, actually get your stock room temperature first).
8. Add the maple syrup and rosemary.
9. Bring to a boil and reduce the sauce. Adjust seasoning if needed.
10. Take the goose breast out of the oven and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes.
11. Slice and dress with the sauce. Serve with roasted vegetables and a starch of your choice (I went with couscous).