Wholly inaccurate, but easy enough on a weekday. A satisfying one-pot meal with plenty of leftovers for lunches. Leftover portions freeze rather well, so that is always a bonus.
3 Italian sausage (spicy)
1 onion, chopped
3 celery branches, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups rice
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 table spoon cajun spices
1 table spoon paprika
1 lb shrimp
1. In a large enamel faitout or dutch oven, warm about a table spoon of the oil. Remove the casing from the sausages and add to the pot.
2. Break apart into clumps as it cooks.
3. Once the meat is almost fully cooked, add the onion, bell pepper and celery.
4. Stir in and cook for a minute or two then add the frozen peas.
5. Give the peas a mine to start thawing then add the tomatoes and garlic.
6. Add the rice. Stir it in, to coat the rice.
7. Add the chicken broth, paprika and cajun spices.
8. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes (to get the rice started)
9. Add the shrimps, still frozen, in a single layer on top.
10. Cover and return to heat for 5-10 minutes, or until the shrimps are nicely pink.
11. Allow to stand for a few minutes (the liquid will be absorbed). Portion out and enjoy!