There are a lot of “do ahead” steps, but they don’t all need to be done at the same time.
Notes for next time :
- Cook the chicken on a grill to let the fat drip away
- Roast the garlic for the yogurt sauce.
8 chicken thighs
For the marinade
3 table soup olive oil
1 tea spoon cumin
1 tea spoon paprika
1 tea spoon turmeric
1 tea spoon salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
Zest and juice of a lemon
Zest and juice of an orange
Black pepper, to taste
For the garnish
1 red onion
1/2 cup greek yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 table spoon olive oil
1 tomato, diced
Bread and butter pickles
1. Combine the yogurt, garlic and olive oil for the garnish, Set aside and allow to mellow overnight.
2. Thinly slice the onion, cover with cold water. Cover and put in the fridge overnight.
3. Combine the marinade’s spices and grind them to a rough powder.
4. In a large bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients.
5. And stir to dissolve the spices.
6. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Cut each thigh in half. Put in the marinade and stir to coat. Cover and marinade overnight.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Cook the chicken on both sides to get some color.
8. Finish in the oven until cooked through.
9. Open the pita bread. Slather with some yogurt sauce. Add the chicken, tomato, lettuce, onions, and pickles to taste. Roll and enjoy.